Saturday, January 28, 2012

Then Came Marriage Part 1

Okay, so technically I was dating my now-husband before I got the dog. But we got engaged and married after I got Kahu.
My husband, Romeo, and I were high school sweethearts. We met at school and had a couple classes together in our senior year (study hall and government).  We knew of each other but didn’t really talk. Then I decided that I needed to get a job. I applied at the restaurant that his parents owned, Mamma Mia. I got the job and started hostessing and waitressing there. Romeo worked in the kitchen so we saw each other every single day. We began talking more and more.
Unfortunately, I had a boyfriend at the time that I had been dating for over a year. Let’s call him “The Nerd.” It wasn’t an exciting relationship at all. It was something that was “easy” so I stayed with The Nerd. He wasn’t hot, that’s for sure. We had practically no passion and were more friends than anything else. When I would come over to his house I would sit and watch him work/play on his computer. (I told you it wasn’t exciting.) I knew that I needed to end things when I started dreading going to see him. When I talked to The Nerd on the phone I would roll my eyes all the time and not participate in the conversation. At the same time, I was becoming more and more attracted to “the hot guy at work.” I looked forward to going to work and the classes I had with Romeo. We didn’t talk on the phone or hang out yet but we flirted each time we saw each other. So when The Nerd told me that he was moving in with a friend that lived almost an hour away I took it as a way out. I told him that was too much for me to deal with and we needed to break up.
I told Romeo right away that The Nerd and I had broken up. He is a good guy and waited about a week before asking me out. Of course, I said yes. We clicked instantly and were inseparable. The Nerd tried to get me to come back to him but I told him I had found someone else and was not interested in the slightest. He took some time but finally figured out that Romeo was my new one and only.
Romeo and I dated through our first year in college. Okay, community college. I’m not rich and could not validate spending that kind of money on school when I didn’t know yet what I wanted to do. Plus, I’m kinda lazy. Romeo started to get antsy in the relationship, as expected for a college guy. We broke up for about a year. That year was tough. We hated each other for a good part of the time and I wasn’t sure that I could ever forgive him for the way he treated me.
We got older and more mature through that time apart. As I was stubborn as a mule, I wouldn’t quit my job so we still saw each other at work all the time. We began talking again and as time went on we realized we still enjoyed each other’s company. We decided to give “us” another try but I told Romeo that he would have to earn back my trust. Well, he did. Looking back, the time apart was good for us. We were able to grow ourselves and mature and we were able to be better in a relationship together.
We dated for a couple years and began talking about marriage. I knew Romeo was the one I wanted to grow old with. While we were dating I decided I wanted a puppy. That led to the search and obtainment of my boo-boo, Kahu.
And you’ll need to check my next post for the engagement and marriage story.  So stay tuned!

5 comments:

  1. This story is so similar to mine (kinda, we weren't high school sweethearts and didn't work together, but there was a Nerd before Josh), that I smiled the whole time I read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! Those poor nerds never had a chance with us

      Delete
  2. Oh...the Nerd...If only we could make a collage of our exes and get ridiculously drunk and prank call them....are we too mature for that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww you guys are so cute... Romeo is such a good one. I can just see you walking around the reataurant not talking to him during you "off" time... #stubbornpeopleunite

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your posts! They make me smile and think back to when we were way younger. Good times!

    FYI: Prank calls are timeless #NeverToOld

    ReplyDelete