Thursday, January 26, 2012

First Came The Dog

When I decided I wanted a puppy I did my research to find out what breed fit me the best. I did an online breed questionnaire that asked me questions about what I wanted from my dog. I said I wanted a large dog that was low energy (as I am lazy), had little grooming requirements (again… lazy), would be a good guard dog, would be great with kids, and would be very attached to its owner (as I am needy). Clicked enter…. Bing! “You should get a Great Dane.” Well, thanks dog breed questionnaire!
This led me into finding out any and all information I could about the breed. (You’ll learn that this is the type of person I am. I am a planner.) After checking out Great Danes I fell in love with them. They had the personality I wanted, they were humungous, they were “low odor” (they don’t have as strong of the doggy smell), they had few grooming requirements, and were very gentle. Well, as gentle as a 150-200 pound dog can be. I would show my mom pictures of them and say how cute I thought they were. She would say that they weren’t cute. Agree to disagree, I suppose.
I found a reputable breeder that was within driving distance and signed up for a puppy in an upcoming litter. I knew I wanted a male because they tend to be “Velcro-dogs.” When the pups were born I was sent pictures of the available puppies and knew he would be mine. Kahu means “guardian” in Hawaiian. His kennel is Hawaiian themed and I lived there for a few years as a child. (I was an Army brat, so I’ve lived in a number of places.)


Oh, FYI- my breeders are Ohana Danes and Jaya Danes. Kahu’s litter was co-owned so he kinda has two kennels, although Ohana was where I picked him up. Stacey, the breeder for Ohana Danes, is amazing. She is always helpful with any questions I have with Kahu and loves all her Danes. She wants to know how they are doing and looks forward to pictures. If you are interested in a Great Dane I highly recommend her. And she is a responsible breeder and only does one or two litters a year. We have visited a number of times and Kahu loves playing with a bunch of dogs his size. I would love to eventually get another Dane from her. Maybe someday. Maybe…


I love my puppy. He may weigh about 175 pounds but he is still, and will always be, my puppy. There were times that he made me so mad I wanted to scream (and sometimes I did scream…okay, and curse…) but I wouldn’t trade him in for any other doggy. He is my boo-boo.

And for those who need to know… Yes. He does eat a lot.

11 comments:

  1. No mention of what he eats though....B.A.R.F. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally forgot to mention it! I'll have to do a post on that

      Delete
  2. It makes me laugh when you call him puppy... I think of him more as a baby-dino, but he is awfully loving (sometimes too much)... Cough cough 2nd base cough cough

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roo-see! (How do you spell that?)
    He's a moose but a lovable one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that last pic! And I thought I had big dogs because mine are boxers. Your boy is big!! But so handsome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dont remember him ever being that tiny, although I do remember when he got a little bigger and seeing how huge his paws were, we love him though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw he's cute! I always wanted a pony. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Thanks! People call him a horse and I always say he's just a pony

      Delete
  7. You have to post pics of how cute he is with Quorra!

    ReplyDelete