Saturday, May 12, 2012

Relay Recap

Last Friday was our local Relay for Life. My friends and I participated and I'm so glad we were able to be a part of this amazing event. Of course, our team name was the Real Housewives of Harrisonburg. We already called ourselves that so it was the obvious choice.


We sold delicious goodies while we were there and made over $200 in that night alone. Over all, we made $1950! I'm so glad that we passed our goal and were able to help fund research for better cancer treatments, help patients and families as they fight, and help to make more birthdays.

There were soooo many people there! They said this was the biggest turnout they have had so far, which is great. Other groups sold yummy food too and we were more then happy to help them raise funds. My favorite was the fresh doughnuts. Mmmm....

We walked and hung out with the ladies and the babies.





The luminary ceremony was incredibly touching. Friends and families lite candles in honor and memory of those affected by cancer. Then bagpipes played "Amazing Grace" which reminded me of my grandparents and uncle. I looked over to my dad who was in tears. That was the kicker for me.


We stayed until about 3:30am but I wish we had stayed all night. I would love to do the Relay for Life again next year and now that we have some experience we'll be better prepared. And since the babies will be older next year it should definitely be easier. 

I know that you are totally stoked to help the cause. You can put together your own Relay team at the Relay for Life website or you can donate to our team next year. Together we can kick cancer's ass.

1 comment: