Monday, May 21, 2012

Life is Precious, Hug Your Babies

I will warn you ahead of time, this post is slightly a downer. So if you decide not to read the whole thing I won't be offended.

This has been a very tough week. Please forgive me for being vague. I want to honor the privacy of those who are dealing with the hardest point in their lives.

For a few weeks now some friends have been watching their son's health go downhill. Their son was born with spina bifida and recently got pneumonia. Generally, those with spina bifida can live relatively long lives.... as long as they don't get pneumonia. His doctors have tried very hard to get this little boy better. I hate to say that he was unable to recover. His parents lost a sweet little boy. I can't imagine what his parents and the rest of his family are going through.

Also, my coworker and his wife suddenly lost their precious 3 month old daughter this week. This really hit home for me and breaks my heart. I don't want to give too much information, again, in respect to the family's privacy. But I can share that she was a perfectly healthy little girl and her passing was extremely sudden and unexpected. They believe the cause was SIDS.

Both of these losses have been really hard on my group of friends. One friend was very close to the family of the little boy and her and her husband both worked closely with our coworker. My sister and I have our family's babies and Noah is very close to the age of the little girl.

It's so hard to even fathom what these families are going through. I would do anything to protect my child. Knowing that you can do absolutely nothing to save them.... No one should have to bury their child. No one.

I don't even know how to console them. What do you say to someone that just lost their child?? How can I say anything that would help?

Sorry, I know most of this doesn't make sense. I'm just so brought aback by both of these events. I can't imagine losing my child. Or a family member losing a child. I love my child with every thread of my being. The only way I can think of it feeling is it being like your heart was ripped out.

I savor in every moment I have with Quorra and the rest of the babies. You never know what the next moment holds so hug your loved ones tight and tell them you love them.

I love cleaning her poop and throw-up. I love putting her to my breast to feed her. I love how she drools all over my face when she grabs me and gives me "kisses." I love when she screams just to be heard. I love her cries and her whines. I love her giggles and smiles. I love her smacks, pinches, and headbutts. I love when she smells fresh bath sweet and when she smells like cheesy-feet. I love everything about her. I will let her know everyday, multiple times a day.

Over the past few days I have found myself stopping just to revel in her. Just to hold her. (I've done the same thing with Noah too...) I feel so lucky to have Quorra, Noah, Broderick, George, and Benjamin and for them all to be happy and healthy babies. I will pray that they stay happy and healthy and enjoy every moment with them.

Okay, so I'm going to wrap this up because I'm sure I'm being a total bummer but I just want you to please tell your loved ones how much they really mean to you. Hold them. Kiss them. Life is precious and we never know what the next day may hold.


I also want to encourage everyone to please take CPR, especially if you have a little one.



3 comments:

  1. First of all, i know you cried when you wrote about Quorra's cheesy feet. Second of all, I cried reading it.

    These babies can scream and cry and fuss all they want around me now. <3 Not taking a single breath of theirs for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CPR wouldn't have saved either of those babies though. Maybe I need to do a refresher though! My cousin just had a miscarriage and I've just been cherishing every second with Chase. I don't care that he's 14.5 months and up every 2 hours because his teeth hurt and I know SO many people would trade me in a second. We are lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg, I can't even imagine what those families are feeling. I have an almost 4 month old son and I have the worst anxiety over something horrible happening like that. :( Please give my love to those families

    ReplyDelete