Saturday, February 4, 2012

Then Came The Baby In The Baby Carriage

So remember when I told you I was a planner? Yeah, I’m not kidding. When my husband and I got married we had already discussed children. We knew we wanted at least one child, maybe two. Once we got married we decided for sure that we wanted to have a baby after we had been married for a couple years. We wanted to have time to be a married couple and to get to know one another before adding a baby into the mix.
After our first wedding anniversary we started discussing more and more when we thought we would want to start trying to have a baby. With more time and talking we decided that we wanted to start “trying” for our second wedding anniversary.
Remember my cousin and BFF, Nicole from Pampers and Pumps? We had our weddings mere months apart and were both discussing baby time. Her and her (now ex) husband had the same idea that Romeo and I had. It just so happened that both couples decided to start working toward a family around the same time. We do stuff together and thought that having babies around the same time would be AWESOME. She told us that she was pregnant right before Romeo and I starting the baby-making.
Anyway, I took my last pack of birth control in November and finished it the week of our second anniversary. My thought was to try to get pregnant in December/January and hope that it wouldn’t take us too long. Then we would have our baby before the holidays. Of course, we knew that babies and bodies work how they want to so this time line was a goal for us. We knew there was no way to guarantee anything.
Christmas and New Years came and went and we were still working for the baby-ness.  Mid-January I was supposed to get my second no-pill period. I am always very regular and was looking for it. Not to mention that I was checking my fertility calendar like a hawk. (Remember-I’m a planner.) I always start in the morning and had gone to work and gotten home that day and still hadn’t started my period. I had a back-up pregnancy test at home and decided to go ahead and take it. I needed to know whether or not to expect my period and buy more tampons. So I went ahead and peed on the stick. I checked it a few minutes later completely expecting it to be negative and to start my period the next day, like every other time I’ve taken a pregnancy test.
But when I looked I saw a faint second line. I sat down and stared at the test for a while. Am I crazy? Is there really a line there? No way… I reread the directions. I did it right. The second line meant it was positive. But it was so light. But the directions say ANY line means positive. Then I googled it. (I do that a lot.) It means I’m pregnant.
Do you see the second line? Confusing, right??

That evening was Romeo and my date night so I gathered myself to go meet him. I didn’t want to tell him on the phone if I could tell him in person. We had to stop by his parent’s house first  since they were having cake for his dad’s birthday. I got to the house and had Romeo meet me outside. I told him that I couldn’t drink the champagne they were getting ready to open. When he asked me why I told him it was because I thought I was pregnant. He was elated. His face lit up like a Christmas tree.
We knew we wanted to keep the pregnancy to ourselves for at least the first couple months so we went inside and kept quiet. I went home and took another test, which was also positive so it was for sure. We were pregnant. We were so excited that we got pregnant so quickly and I was stoked to be able to go through pregnancy the same time as Nicole.

My sister, Jessica at Heart on Homestead, and I are super close so we knew we wanted to tell her and her husband first. We invited them to dinner about a week later. After we got settled Romeo ordered himself a beer and I got water. I said “I can’t have a margarita today. I’m not going to be able to drink when we go on vacation either.” Jess was so confused. She asked why and I told her I was pregnant. *Cue the waterworks*
We told the rest of the family about a month and a half later. Everyone was super excited. I got to tell my cousins and extended family soon after that when we made a trip to Pennsylvania. Nicole and I were giddy to be able to go through the experience of becoming a mom at the same time.
Romeo and I started having the idea of being parents-to-be sink in and made all the new plans that came along with it. We were so blessed and excited to go through this experience together and couldn’t wait to welcome our little one. A piece of each of us. A show of our love. A miracle. Our miracle.

3 comments:

  1. That was the hardest secret I've ever had to keep! And shame on you for making me cry in El Charros, hahaha, I guess I got you back 6 months later though, when I called you at work and told you I was preggers too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for pregnancy test stories! I was so excited when you told us, I couldn't have been more happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Babies babies they are everywhere... only you could plan things so effectively

    ReplyDelete